Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, March 29, 2012

34. Back to school, back to normal seeing time

James* and I returned to school in January, and I was super excited to be able to see him almost every day. I enjoyed the little half hugs between classes in the hallways, holding hands when sitting next to each other at lunch, sneaking glances at each other during conversations, and spending time between school and games together. I really liked this kid a lot, but it was hard for me to want to like him so much. The only other real relationship I had had at that point was with Henry. And as you could tell, it wasn't a very healthy relationship. Because of that unhealthy relationship, I was afraid to let myself care that much about someone ever again.

James' birthday was midway through January. He and i hardly ever went on dates, but I convinced him to go on a date with me to the dollar theater in town. I picked what I thought would be a short movie, but it ended up being almost three hours long. I was so afraid we were going to get in trouble for being out so late...it was only his 15th birthday, after all. (I had just turned 17 a few months before, so I promise it wasn't as bad as it sounds!)

Immediately after the movie, we called his parents to let them know that we had just finished the movie. His dad understood, he had seen the movie before and knew how long it was going to be. We just had to head straight home since it was a little after midnight. It was no problem for me.

At this point, James and I had been together for a little over two months. We held hands all throughout the three hour movie, and he finally gave me a little kiss on the lips right at the end of the movie. To me, it was the sweetest gesture in the world.

I counted that night as our first date. Even though it was for a cheap movie, he paid, bought dinner, and bought us snacks. He finally admitted to me that he kinda liked me that night as well.

My name is Blake*, and first dates are always memorable, no matter how many you go on.

*all names have been changed to protect the innocent and not-so-innocent

No comments:

Post a Comment