Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, April 1, 2012

35. Nerves, with a shot butterflies

February came around, and I was starting to look for dresses for my junior/senior prom. Now like I've said before, James* and I were together without the title. I liked him a lot, and he liked me a lot, and I knew that I wanted to take him to prom. I just didn't know how he'd feel about going with me. So I finally decided that I did want him to accompany me, and I did what any responsible older person would do, I went to his parents and asked for their permission to accompany me to my junior prom. I'd have to drive us everywhere, and I wanted to make sure it was okay with them for me to steal him away for half a day.

So I asked his father if I could take him with me to prom, and his dad said, "Well of course, you jackass." That's why I love his parents.

Unfortunately, his father also told him that I was planning on asking him to prom. I think it was easier for me to ask his parents than it was to ask him, just because I didn't think he would want to go. So after school one day, before a basketball game, I finally got the nerve to ask him. I walked up to him and told him I needed to talk to him.

He and I were setting out chairs together, and I said "Soooo, James, I have something I need to talk to you about. I kinda sorta wanna ask you something..." and his reply was, "Yeah, I'll go to the prom with you."
"How the hell did you know that?"
"Oh, Dad told me you were going to ask me. That's kind of weird that you asked him before you asked me."
"I was only trying to be polite. I would expect you to have asked my mom if it was okay for you to take me if I were a freshman an you were a junior. Just saying."

So James agreed to go with me to my senior prom. The female manager of his team overheard our conversation and got mad. She had the biggest crush on him, and as long as he and I weren't "official," she felt she had a chance at winning his heart. Either way, his answer made me super happy, and I skipped to tthe locker room to change into my uniform and get my mp3 player.

I had the date, all I needed was to work on a dress! I was the happiest girl in the world.

My name is Blake*, and I still look back on his "yes" as one of the happiest moments of my young love life.

*all names have been changed to protect the innocent and not-so-innocent

No comments:

Post a Comment