Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, April 2, 2012

36. Junior homecoming

You see, when you're from a small town, your high school has a homecoming for all the major sports. Obviously, the big homecoming of the year is still for football, but we also have one for basketball and wrestling.

Now this year, I got elected as a homecoming attendant for the first time. I should have had it my freshman year, but that's a completely different story. Anyways, that year there was only one senior in basketball, so she automatically got homecoming queen. What the athletic director decided to do was take the junior with the most votes and make her the "senior attendant" and take the junior with the second most votes and make her junior attendant. With this came a lot of bull shit from the girls I called my friends. Even though this caused a ruckus, it was nothing compared to what was to come my senior year. But we'll get to that.

James* and I talked on the phone the whole time I was trying on dresses and he helped me figure out which one I wanted. I didn't really like the one I ended up getting, but I think I paid maybe $15 for the dress at an outlet shop in town.

A couple days before the homecoming game, I attempted to donate blood at my school's blood drive. Now I don't know if you've heard of this before, but I have a condition called "rolling veins." Anytime I attempt to donate blood, the needle will hit the vein and all is good, until about 30 seconds after the initial hit. Then my veins get skittish and start to move away out from under the needle. The result is that I normally can't get the pint needed to donate, and lots of blood pools just underneath the surface of the skin, causing what looks like a humongous bruise. It's not a painful bruise, but it looks awful.

The reason why I tell you this is because I didn't really like my dress. Then the day of homecoming, I have this HUGE bruise looking thing in the crack of my elbow. My "friends" made fun of me for it. And for walking with a guy who was shorter than I was. Basically, it was a shitty day all around.

But then, James came up to me just after the ceremonies, wrapped me up in a bear hug and whispered in my ear "Blake*, you are SO beautiful. The other girls are just jealous." And so, I melted. Hook, line, and sinker. We took a picture together, and to this day it is still one of my favorite pictures of us.

My name is Blake, and sometimes sweet words from a boy can make the world a better place.

*all names have been changed to protect the innocent and not-so-innocent

No comments:

Post a Comment