Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, March 3, 2012

25. Anticipation is half the fun

I had gone to prom the year before with a friend of the family in the next town over. I bought the dress last minute, and wasn't in love with it, only spent a couple hours getting ready, and had my mom do my makeup. I wan't that into it just because I viewed him as only a friend. We went to a nice dinner and didn't stay at the prom for more than an hour or two before he took me home.

I was determined to make this prom different. Henry* and I had exchanged those three little words shortly before we had sex for the first time, so I knew that this year's prom would be different. I was going with a guy who was  my boyfriend, who I cared for and loved, and who I knew would love how HOT I looked in my dress.

I woke up way earlier than I had originally intended to on that Saturday morning because I was so incredibly nervous. I got up, ate some wonderful homemade breakfast of biscuits and eggs, and then called my friend Lizzie*. She and I had made plans to spend all day getting ready together. We still had a few hours to go before our hair appointments, so we decided to go get our nails done instead.

We both went with classier looks for our nails, we both got a French manicure on our hands and feet. She and I talked nonstop about how excited we were for the evening and how excited we were for our boys to see us in our dresses.

We left the nail place and headed to the salon to get our hair done. My hairdresser asked about my dress and how I wanted my hair styled to match it. Since my hair is naturally curly, I decided that I wanted something straight. My hairstylist was a creative genius, and put together something straight that was still an updo. I can't really explain what it was, other than she straightened my hair and then wrapped it around in a bun, but there were still pieces sticking out all over the place, and there were pieces framing my face. It doesn't sound very pretty, but by the time she was finished working her magic, I WAS IN LOVE. It was more perfect than I could have ever imagined.

Once our hair was done, Lizzie and I headed back home to do our makeup. This year, I still saved money by having a family member do it, but I also requested that my eyes be a little more dramatic to match my dress.

Of course between all of this, we made a Taco Bell run to keep us from passing out from the anxiety. It was that late Taco Bell run that made me feel like I was no longer going to be able to fit into my slinky little black dress. So after all of this getting ready, the time finally arrived. Our boys were on their way to come get us for our dinner reservations. My mom helped me into my dress, and I loved how it all came together...the hair, the nails, the makeup, down to the shoes. I loved it all. Now all I needed to go with it was my Henry.

My name is Blake*, and we all know the best part of prom is that "wow" moment when your date sees how pretty you look.

*all names have been changed to protect the innocent and not-so-innocent

No comments:

Post a Comment