Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, February 25, 2012

21. First time I started HATING Valentine's Day

*As a warning, this post is being written while sipping on some yummy blackberry Merlot. May the post commence*

In light of the recent holiday (Single's Awareness Day for my fellow single ladies out there), I thought it was appropriate to skip ahead to my first BIG Valentine's Day with a boyfriend. At this point, Henry* and I had been together for about six months. He and I had our routine every weekend. Since we lived so far away, we usually picked either his town or mine to hang out in, and took turns driving back and forth.

When we were in his town, we would go to a local Mexican restaurant, have pretty much the same thing every week, and would spend about $20 between the two of us.

If I remember correctly, Valentine's Day was on a weekday, and either one or both of us had a game that night. So we decided to make plans to hang out that weekend.

Ok, so I'm TERRIBLE at giving gifts to guys. Especially for things like Valentine's Day, where it's CLEARLY a holiday that's meant for guys to buy girls stuff. I decided to decorate a plastic cup for him, fill it with "kisses" (SO CORNY), and his favorite gum. I tried to wrap it creatively, but ended up using colored cling wrap. Whateves. I honestly don't even really remember what he got me. I think he hand picked me some roses (which I thought was AWESOME) and maybe got me something else? I don't really remember.

Instead of doing our usual routine, he decided to switch it up and take me to a nicer restaurant. It was a restaurant that was in the downtown area, and he had gone to it for prom the year before. It was a little hole-in-the-wall Italian restaurant, and I was kind of excited to try it.

We got there, and it was way more fancy than what either of us had dressed for. They gave us our menus, and most of it was seafood. They had a special menu to celebrate the holiday, but unfortunately neither of us found anything that sounded too appetizing to us. It really kind of pissed him off when I asked if we could just leave and go to our usual restaurant.

We went to our usual Mexican restaurant, ordered our usual dinners, and ate in complete silence. He was so mad that the night didn't go as he originally planned, and kind of took it out on me. I'm pretty sure we even got into a little fight about how childish he was being.

We made up within the next couple days, but this Valentine's Day will forever taint all of my future Valentine's Days. I like the idea of having a day to express your love, but I feel like it shouldn't be one day a year of all this grandeur. Plus, when things like my night happen, it can ruin the entire evening. If one thing had gone correctly that night, I don't think I would have started having a bad view of Valentine's Day. But he got pissy about everything, and I ended up going home immediately after the dinner instead of going to a movie like we usually did.

I had a couple Valentine's Day that went okay, but this one was complete shit.

My name is Blake*, and sometimes you just gotta go with the flow. Otherwise, you'll piss your girl off.

*all names have been changed to protect the innocent and not-so-innocent

No comments:

Post a Comment