Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, January 14, 2012

16. The moment where I get my first real, long-term boyfriend.

If you haven't figured out by now, I'm completely and utterly boy crazy. There's nothing like a good looking guy, a sexy deep voice, or some amazing smelling cologne. I did a lot of my stupid stuff with my previously mentioned friend Lizzie*. Lizzie and I were best friends in high school. Somewhere during the summer between my freshman and sophomore years in high school, she met a couple of guys from a small town across the state. Their names were Tony* and Henry*. If I remember correctly, Henry was initially interested in Lizzie, and Lizzie was interested in Tony. Because she felt bad about it, she asked if I wanted to maybe talk to and meet Henry. She showed him a picture of me and he said he'd like to get to know me. So we got on AIM (does anyone still use that?!) and started talking to each other almost daily. I had a cell phone that I was using, and we exchanged numbers and began talking to each other daily. Henry's voice was deep and sexy. Seriously, a good sounding deep voice will get a guy far!

Henry and I talked so much that I found myself really liking him a lot without ever meeting him. When I would ask Lizzie about him, she would say that he is tall and really nice. (Here's a hint: if your friend can only say he's nice, he's probably not the best looking.)

Before I knew it, summer was ending, and school was starting. Both Tony and Henry were seniors, and so the thought of dating someone older than me was pretty awesome as well!

I'll never forget the night that I met Henry. Lizzie convinced Tony to come to our town for our back to school night, a night where our parents meet our teachers for the semester to establish a good relationship for any future problems. Basically the ones whose parents need to go never do.

Anyways, like normal we had practice right up to when back to school night started. Lizzie and I wore our sweaty practice clothes over to the high school to meet our moms, and she dropped a ball on me:

"Hey Blake, Tony and Henry are going to be here by the way. Just thought you should know."-Lizzie
"WHAT?! WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME?!"-me
"Henry wanted to surprise you"-Lizzie

And boy was I ever surprised. See in my mind, sexy voice = mr sexy pants in real life. No no, Henry was tall and lanky and kind of awkward. And he was dressed grungy. Not that I was any better in my sweaty practice clothes, but at least I had an excuse. I was really disappointed when I met him, and tried to hide my disappointment. But I didn't hide it very well. The four of us hung out for a little bit that evening before the boys had to leave to drive home.

Once he got home, Henry called me and we talked about what we wanted to do. Like I said, I didn't hide my disappointment very well, and he told me that I didn't have to continue talking to him. But I knew that even though I was a little disappointed, I still really liked him. He made me laugh all the time, and we very rarely had a lull in conversation. So, me being the un-shallow person that I tried to be, I told him he was crazy. That I still wanted to talk to him and be with him.

I don't exactly remember if that night we decided to be boyfriend and girlfriend, but I do know that it was sometime around then. I know this because his birthday was a couple weeks later, and we did go out for his birthday as a couple.

This is also where the boys will start taking up more than one post at a time. Just wanted to warn you in advance!

My name is Blake, and I genuinely miss having that giddy feeling.


*all names have been changed to protect the innocent and not-so-innocent

No comments:

Post a Comment